Forrest Gump says that "Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get." I've always seen it a bit more like a roller coaster:
- there are moments of anticipation where you are slowly climbing to great heights, listening to the click, click, click of the track ... trying to keep your heart rate down and remind yourself how much "fun" this will be,
- then there are moments when the bottom falls out from underneath and you question the likelihood of survival,
- there are moments full of twists and turns, some you see coming and some you don't,
- there are moments you are holding on for dear life, and
- there are others that sweep you away with excitement as you throw your arms up and scream out in pure glee.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO! What a Ride!"I have no idea who said that, but it is the hope for my life ... that I would not let the ups and downs of life distract me from the glorious adventure it is when we buckle in, sit back, and enjoy. No reserves, no retreats, and no regrets.
That being said ...
For some time now I've known I needed to blog. The roller coaster that is my life seems to attract attention and curiosity from those who know me (and some who don't), and I'm humbled by the interest others have shown in following my story. So in an effort to keep informed those interested, and perhaps to keep myself in touch with the reality of my own life ... I hereby begin this blog. I hope God uses it in the lives of anyone who might stumble upon it or intentionally navigates to it.
And may we all be more willing to leave the safety of the predictable life and join in the adventure.