Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 243: What Do YOU Know?

I attended a conference last week and one of the presenters said there are three bodies of information. They are:
  1. What you know you know
  2. What you know you don't know
  3. What you don't know you don't know
Anyone lost yet? Hang with me.

I thought about these three things and I realized that most of the time I am all wrapped up in one of the first two. Truth be told, some days I just about pull a shoulder muscle patting myself on the back for what I know I know ... or perhaps just going out of my way to demonstrate the knowledge to others. Other days, I'm consumed with the things I don't know that I want to know. These vary in both depth and seriousness.
  • How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
  • What does it take to lose this over sized butt of mine once and for all?
  • What career path should I take after finally finishing seminary?
  • When will I finally meet the man of my dreams?
  • Why does God allow so much hurt in the world?
But then I got to thinking about the third body of information ... what I don't know I don't know. Shouldn't this be the stuff I focus on the most? I already know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "How can you focus on something you don't even know you don't know??" GREAT QUESTION!
"Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." (Jeremiah 33:3)
Perhaps I should rephrase. I need not focus on what I don't know I don't know because I don't know it! But I do need to focus on WHO knows what I don't know I don't know. Everyday we have the opportunity to share talk time with the only One who can truly be a know-it-all ... literally! We find entertainment (sadly also advice) from psychics, horoscopes, and even the magic 8 ball. Why do we not go more often to the only reliable source available - The Omniscient God of all Truth! He not only holds the answers to all of our questions, He holds the answers to the questions we don't even know to ask yet.

But how do we ask? How do we hear the answers? It's not as complicated as many think. It doesn't require a PhD or an above average IQ. It doesn't require a seminary degree or an elaborate understanding of Hebraic law. And there's no special formula.

Some would say formulas are how we interact with God, that going through motions and jumping through hoops are how a person acts out his spirituality. This method of interaction, however, seems odd to me, because if I want to hang out with my friend Tuck, I don’t stomp my foot three times, turn around, and say his name over and over like a mantra, lighting candles and getting myself into a certain mood. I just call him. (excerpt from Donald Miller's book "Searching For God Knows What")

So go ahead ... call Him! You don't even need a phone. Who knows what you might find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment