Friday, December 31, 2010

Day 365: It Is Finished

Ok, perhaps the blog title is a bit over stated. Jesus said it and I certainly didn't save the world from eternal damnation. Thankfully, that task has already been completed. What I did do was successfully run every day for 1 year. 365 days and 565 miles. I didn't break any records for speed (still pretty pokey), distance (my streaking partner Rodney logged over 200 miles more than me - Go Rod!), or even length of running streak (there is a man who has been streaking since the 60's) ... but what I also didn't break is the promise I made to myself to complete the streak in the first place. That is what I am proud of. I am always encouraged by the realization that I really can do anything through Christ who gives me strength (Phil 4:13). There's a reason that is my life verse.

Am I glad it's over? You bet your worn out bippy!
Would I do a running streak again? Probably not.
Did I learn a lot in the process? Absolutely.

I don't know what ideas are swirling around in your head about goals for 2011, but I would make these encouragements to you:
  1. Set a goal that challenges you
  2. Set a goal that accomplishes something
  3. Set a goal that will require you to lean in harder on God to complete
For me, my three biggest goals for 2011 are as follows (and the above rules certainly apply):
  • Spend quality time with God everyday (not obligatory, or habitual, but sincere)
  • Graduate from seminary
  • Finally leave the Chaplain Candidate status and accession as a Chaplain
Everyone of these will require God's help. That's humbling. But helpful. Just as Mary said to the angel who declared she - a virgin - would give birth to the Messiah, "Nothing is impossible with God" (Luke 1:37).

Let each of us go, therefore, with God into the new year ... and stand amazed on December 31st, 2011 at the impossible things which He has made possible in each of our lives.
As I sign off for the last post of 2010, here is the picture representation of how many days I have left of my streak. But one thought comes to mind: most countdowns do not mark the end of something, but the beginning (i.e. - shuttle launch, start of a movie, etc.). How appropriate! The streak is over, but something new is beginning. God reminded me of that with this verse today from Isaiah 43:

“Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?"

Good or bad ... no matter what 2010 held for you, 2011 is a new year.
And God is doing a nu thang (thank you DC Talk).
Time to move forward!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing the streak! Just awesome! Also, thank you for the words of encouragement - 2011 is going to be a big year.

    Much love,

    MG

    ReplyDelete