Monday, October 26, 2009

CH-BOLC: He is For Me

Just because God promises to be our support (and Titus 1:2 assures God does not lie), that doesn't mean people always will be that to us.

The Soldier's Creed declares we will never leave a comrade behind, yet during our PT run today, one of my classmates complained about having to circle back around "just because of them" with the "them" being those of us who run slower than the others in formation. (He didn't know one of "them" was right behind him.) "Funny," I thought to myself, ... "he's memorized The Soldier's Creed, but clearly doesn't understand what it means to live by it."

But why should the Army, yes even the Chaplain Corps, be any different than the rest of the world? People will let you down. (I'm sure you've experienced this in your churches too.) Yes, some will encourage, but many will discourage. Some will build you up, but many will tear you down.
"At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength ... "
(II Tim 4:16-17)
"May it not be held against them." That's right up there with "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." I wish I could tell you that's what I thought when I overheard the comment during the run this morning. But as God later led me to this Timothy passage, my heart softened. I asked God to forgive me for thinking less of people who hurt me or let me down. I asked Him to help me look to Him for all my needs. I prayed that when I look at others that I would not expect failure and disappointment from them, but that I would not hold it against them if it happens. And I praised Him for the beautiful truth of Paul's last statement above ... "But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength."

And then, like a gift delivered through the speakers of my car, God reminded me of His faithfulness ... something I never have to call into question. He will never fail me.
I know that You are for me.
I know that You are for me.
I know that You will never forsake me in my weakness.
I know that You have come now
even if to write upon my heart,
to remind me who You are.

(Chorus of "You are For Me" by Kari Jobe)
Click here to watch/listen to the entire song.
God reminded me of who He is.
He is faithful.
And He is for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder - today's scripture verse from Hebrews 4:14-16 was also a great reminder.

    MG

    ReplyDelete