Saturday, October 24, 2009

CH-BOLC: The End of Phase 1

Well, Phase 1 is over. (If you are interested in viewing a few pictures, click here.) Two weeks have zipped by. As I sat waiting to go into my doctor's appointment (more on that in a minute), God began to give me some clarity I thought I would share with you.

Being back at CH-BOLC has been an interesting journey. I'm in a better place emotionally but not necessarily physically. After being put on profile due to my breathing problems, I had mixed emotions. Of course in some ways, it was a nice physical break. But I have been feeling a little cheated. Pushing yourself beyond what you perceive your limits to be is a big part of what being here is all about. It's what can be agonizing but also extremely rewarding. Not doing it may make for an easier race but a hollow victory (if a victory at all). I never thought I'd say this, but I began to miss the suffering. Maybe that's why Paul wrote ...
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers [and sisters], whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4)
"Not lacking anything" ... that's what I'm talking about!! But it only comes in maturity which comes by perseverance. Not just perseverance, but perseverance that has finished its work. And that doesn't happen without trials & the testing of your faith.

In Army Operation Planning there are 2 approaches: forward planning or backward planning. Forward planning is moving from step 1 to step 2 and so on until you ultimately arrive at your goal (hopefully). This is what most people use in daily life. Reverse planning is starting at your goal and working backwards determining each step and what must take place for each to happen. If "not lacking anything" is the goal, then maturity, perseverance, trials & testing are the necessary steps. I can try other steps but they will likely not get me to the desired goal.

Me + Trials = Perseverance = Maturity = Completion = Not Lacking Anything

This is my desire. But it may require getting over some hurdles. It may seem like they are coming one right after another. It may be scary. It may seem way too big.

But you are not alone. There are people around to help you get over the obstacles. And better yet, there is a God with you every step, providing all you need to be victorious. These trials are a gift. Sure, they don't feel like it ... but they are. They are leading towards maturity and completion.

Not ... lacking ... anything!

I am grateful for a week to realize the benefit of the training I am receiving here. The medical staff is continuing to work to confirm once and for all what is happening with my lungs. (I have another test on Tuesday that will prove for sure whether this is asthma.) But in the meantime, they have cleared me to return to training (at my own pace) and I am grateful.

May you be encouraged by whatever you are enduring also. It is not for nothing.

"For I know the plans I have for you,
plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you a hope and a future."
(Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment