Monday, October 12, 2009

It's not vacation ... I promise!

So, as most of you know, I completed basic or CIMT (Chaplains' Initial Military Training) at Ft. Jackson back in January. I still have 3 more parts to complete which are simply referred to as Phases 1, 2, & 3. Today I arrived back at Ft. Jackson to begin completion of Phases 1 & 2 (a 5 1/2 week task).

In preparation for my departure from my regular job, my dear sweet co-workers enjoyed referring to this time away as my "vacation" if for no other reason than to watch me immediately argue the ridiculousness of such a statement. Sadly, their jesting was all the more perpetuated when I was notified that Ft. Jackson's lodging was full and the 15 or so of us about to come were going to have to stay off post in a hotel. I tried to explain to my co-workers this was actually an inconvenience, but to no avail.

But today was the day ... and despite a torrential downpour that traveled with me every mile from Birmingham to Columbia, I arrived safely only to discover that the hotel was even nicer than expected. Turns out it has only been open about 4 months and the place is pristine! See for yourself in this video:



(If you subscribe to this blog via email and are unable to see the video, just click on the blog title and it should take you to the online version.)

One quick prayer request before signing off ...

I will have to take (and pass) a PT test this Friday. (Nothing like jumping right in!) If I am unable to pass, I will have to do PT every night as well as the standard 6 am PT. Needless to say, this is not desired. Please pray I am able to meet all standards ... sit ups, push ups, and the 2 mile run. Oh yeah, and I'll have to pass a weigh in as well.

Looks like the party is starting already. :o)

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least it's a luxury inconvenience! Glad you're there safe and sound. Praying for Friday! You can do it! The Lord is with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...if you've got to be gone, at least you have a nice place to come "home" to! Can I say "enjoy" your time away?! You will be missed! Praying for you on Friday....BRING IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete